I’m a huge fan of books with slightly psychotic characters and weird endings. So I definitely enjoyed this one! It had my eyeballs glued to the page (like to the point where it was SUPER LATE AND MY EYES WERE BURNING but I couldn’t stop reading) and I wanted answers dangit. Aaaall the answers.
• A kind of apocalyptic city vibe, where I was 99% sure NO ONE COULD BE TRUSTED.
• John was a really SAD person and I felt for him a lot. His life just got worse and WORSE as the book went on. (as his history unraveled anyways)
• THE ENDING WAS PRETTY MUCH WOAH and there were still several elements that were totally shocking!
• The writing was really easy and comfortable to read and I gobbled the book up super fast.
• It features loads of unreliable technology that keeps you paranoid.
• Some of the technical aspects about computer hacking bored me to death and there were at times where paragraph after paragraphs centered around it.
• Some side characters majorly annoyed me with some of their life choices during this whole scenario..
• Possibly a little farfetched? I get it. A computer that can completely think for itself and control THE WORLD. That’s right, the whole damn world but nothing else in this world seems to be that advanced.
• Oh, and another thing, there are like 8 million people who live in New York and they quite literally disappear in this book and our characters encounter maybe 40 people total.
All in all: it’s definitely a good, creepy and solid apocalyptic mystery! It has a good ending and very sketchy characters (LIKE SERIOUSLY DON’T TRUST ANYONE!)
3.5 OUT OF 5 STARS
Thank you Nate for sending me a copy to review.